Friday, August 24, 2012

National Waffle Day

Today is also National Knife Day.  I confess that I attempted to get a brand new set of cool knives for the kitchen.  It didn't go over...we have to wait.  Isn't that the phrase you just hate hearing sometimes.  Oh, well....I tried.

To preface today, G and I went to fabulous NYC a few weeks ago, just the two of us, for eight days.  So awesome!  We are foodies, so every trip we take is heavily researched beforehand on what delightsome morsels we can find and where we go to have our tatebuds blessed.  One of our favorites, we just happened upon one afternoon.  It was a food truck called Wafles and Dinges (yes that is how it is spelled).  They made the most divine bites of goodness...on a waffle.  We tried to find them again on the last night we were there, and we totally bombed out.  It was a very sad moment in our trip.

Yesterday (why I didn't think about this sooner), I decided I would try to recreate that heavenly food moment in my kitchen.  I had to figure out the waffle recipe first.  They use some very specific batter- from Belgium.  I knew that they had been part of Bobby Flay's Throwdown Challenge.  I found his recipe that he used to make a similar batter.  I figured he knew a thing or two about cooking and his recipe just might turn out okay.  That part was taken care of.

I emailed G at work about my plan.  It has been a long time since I had an avalanche of excited emails from him.  You'd think he was close to getting the okay from me to buy a Ferrari or something.  They were coming like rapid fire.  In a matter of minutes, we were both searching for the delicious spread used on the food truck.  I had the forethought to ask, while at the truck, if they sold their spread.  Yes they do.  Stupid me walked away without any.  You have to use this spread.  I'm sure they use this spread in heaven.  I emailed their company and they responded almost immediately as to how to get it here.  I ordered 10 jars!  spread link That should last for a few weeks.  They weren't going to get here in time (overnight was as much as the product- sad face), so I started finding out if I could get some here.  There are a few brands, and I found one is sold at a local grocery store...so that will have to do for today.  I must say, we are salivating for the arrival of the correct brand (it is the best...all kinds of awards and contests "best").  Done here.

This recipe isn't a fast one by any clock.  I knew they'd taste good because I sampled the batter and found it a sweet delight.  I did have some problems.  Problem #1: My stand mixer really struggled with the dough.  It is my first time using the dough hook, but I still don't think it should buck like a rodeo bull.  Problem #2: When it came time to put in the butter, I didn't think I would ever finish adding each little cube.  Problem #3:  I can never get anything that uses yeast to raise...no matter what I do.  My cooking skills are allergic to yeast, I have decided.  Mine weren't any bigger that when I put them on the pan.  Back to Problem #2:  I had liquid butter lakes surrounding each ball of dough after sitting to raise.  Silver lining #1:  I didn't have to grease my waffle iron the entire time because of those lakes of butter.  Problem #4:  When you try a new recipe for a waffle iron...you burn a few trying to find the right setting and timing.  Silver lining #2:  Not all of the "trial" waffles were very burnt, and I got to nibble on them...definitely yummy.  All-in-all, I'm glad we made them.  Here are some pictures of our gourmet dessert time tonight.

J- I think this is #3.
G- His is all gone!
P- The "spread" being spread on #2.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your day or idea here.