Wednesday, August 22, 2012

National Be An Angel Day

There are a few definitions for angel.  I cannot at this point in time be the most commonly known being from Heaven (at least I sure hope that's not the one soon to be attributed to me, that's a whole different blog).  I have never seen these divine messengers of Heavenly Father, but I know they exist.  I can be two other definitions (as can every one else).  Provided by the wonderful dictionary.com, here are my two definitions:

1.  a person who performs a mission of God or acts as if sent by God.
2.  a person having qualities generally attributed to an angel, as beauty, purity, or kindliness.
 
Definition 1:  a person who performs a mission of God or acts as if sent by God.
I have always believed that one of the responsibilities we have on magnificent Earth is to lift the burdens of one another.  Christ lived the perfect example of this, and He would do it Himself if here on Earth.  Since He is not on the planet at this particular moment, WE are His hands.  I remember creating a video with the title of "We Are His Hands" for a training of Primary (church organization for children ages 18 months-11 years old) leaders and teachers, which also included Cub and Boy Scout leaders on this very subject.  In the video were pictures of Christ with children followed by a teacher or leader doing something similar with or for a child.  It was amazing, if I may say so.  The knowledge that we have within us the capacity to be His hands and to bless someone's life as He would is empowering.  We have been endowed with everything we need to serve each other completely and exactly as needed with His guidance.  We are presented with opportunities, usually daily, sometimes quietly and sometimes screaming in our face, to aid someone.  Our only error is when we choose to not act or do it grudgingly.  So, to be this definition today required some paying attention outside of my focus, not a characteristic of an ADD brain working on projects.  My opportunity presented itself very late last night, actually today by the time it jumped up and waved its arms.  I was helping a friend with some copying that she had forgotten about for a school event the next morning.  I realized there wasn't enough paper to finish, and it was the wee hours of the night (really morning).  She was prepared to run some over then, or come extra early in the morning to bring it to me, all while being up very late herself and having to be at the event for which the copies were intended quite early.  I thought that those options would be easier on me, and then I thought, "What would be the best for her?"  You see, that's what Christ would think (at least I eventually got there).  She had to pick up the copies anyway, but I had her come on her way to her event instead of early.  She dropped off the ream at the same time.  I made the copies, and then brought them to her.  She probably got an extra hour of sleep doing that, which was precious given her day today.  I know I'd have appreciated it tremendously.  It was a little thing for me, but big for her.  These types of things usually are that way.  They frequently come as little miracles for the receiver.  The moral here: pay attention and act!
 
Definition 2:  a person having qualities generally attributed to an angel, as beauty, purity, or kindliness.
I love this one tremendously.  I want so very much to embody this definition.  Wouldn't you just love to hear this definition used to describe you as your eulogy (again...not trying to make myself part of the legions of heavenly hosts)?  What do you want people to say about you?  This month is also What Will Be Your Legacy Month.  Can you imagine a better defining character?  Our world is filled with harshness, cutting edges, difficult realities, people living facade existences based on facade lives we get from various media sources, selfishness, and the list goes on.  The trick is to be in the world but not of it.  This can be, and I guess I should really say it is, quite challenging.  Seeing beauty and purity and kindliness in our world offers hope that it is attainable, real, and precious.  Seeing it in others inspires us to be the same.  Who would you inspire if you were beautifully radiant with these qualities?  What would this change in your little part of this world?  Whose life could you transform?  Even one person is a joyful happening!  The thing about it is this...it's never just one...it is always at least two, you and the other person.

Here is a great video that eloquently talks of angelic characteristics (BibleVideo-Sermon on the Mount: The Beatitudes)  Video Link
 
Think hard, or not so hard, just pay attention.  Find at least one person today that you can be an angel to.  Sometimes all you have to do is smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your day or idea here.