Friday, August 17, 2012

National Thrift Shop Day

I have never really been one to shop a Thrift Store or for antiques or something.  I always wanted new stuff.  Maybe it was all of the hand-me-downs from when I was a kid, maybe I'm just vain.  Who knows?!  When my daughter was getting married she chose a modern vintage theme.  So, for the first time, I went into an antique shop.  I fell in love with TONS of stuff there.  Ideas were racing through my head on where to use them as is or how I could repurpose them.  The only obstacles in my path were not enough money to get them all, not enough time to do all of the projects, not enough room in my house or my walls for all of them, and my husband would so freak out.  Some are amazing ideas (all of mine are you know), but not all of them really fit my home.  Just minor issues, really.  (I keep telling myself that.)  I have been in a few others since then, and have learned there are good thrift/antique stores and bad ones.  Bad ones are not very inspiring.

Recently I have been interested in making a particular set of items that utilize items you would find in one of these gems.  Here is what I want to make (I found these on pinterest).
Bowl and a plate turned into a cake plate
OR
Stemware and plate turned into a cake plate
Here is a link to a pinterest challenge for it as well.  Challenge Link

Soon...very soon...I will make some of these.  I wonder if my dear sweet husband would build me a room off my kitchen to store all of the cake plates in all of the fun styles that I could make, and then sit through all of the parties I'd need to throw to use them all.  I can hear the laughter spewing from him now.

Here is another great link to some common things you can find in a thrift store and what you can do with them.  Other ideas link

Happy Thrift Store Shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your day or idea here.