Thursday, August 23, 2012

National Sponge Cake Day

I made my very first sponge cake.  I believe I'm going to have a lot of firsts in this blogging adventure.  I'm amazed at how many days involve food, and food that creates big butts at that.  You don't see National Asparagus Day or National Eat Something Good For You Day.  We'd all make a scowl and find something else to occupy our efforts.  Can you imagine trying to convince your kids to be excited about National Clean Your Room Day (okay, that's not food).  My husband, my very healthy eater, suggested I skip this one, but no...I halved the recipe so we wouldn't have so much laying around.  I still have about a dozen cupcakes from the other day tempting me each time I walk in or out of the kitchen.  I digress... back to my sponge cake.
 
I love the website allrecipes.com.  You can find great recipes there.  It's like choosing a hotel...5 star recipes are better than 3 stars, but 3 stars aren't necessarily bad.  This is the fabulous place I found my delicious recipe for this sweet and airy dessert.  Recipe Link
 
It was quite an interesting process for me.  I have a stand mixer with only one mixing bowl.  I required two for sponge cake.  I attempted to turn a regular mixing bowl into a substitute bowl #2.  I was trying to mix everything together while spinning and twisting this sorry attempt at a twin, all while measuring and dumping in ingredient after ingredient.  My fingers occasionally found themselves in the path of the quickly whirling beater which yielded a lightning movement away by my hand.  That is not a pleasant experience.  After a few minutes, I made sure my husband knew that a second bowl for my mixer would be a great birthday gift (that's coming up).  After this mixing achievement, I had the long arduous wait of an entire hour (or until done- how silly is that) for it to bake.  Don't you just hate the minute by minute wait when you want to devour what is baking, and you can smell it no matter where you go...well, you could leave the house.
 
My husband made some yummy, sinfully good homemade chocolate sauce.  It was the perfect "frosting."  It could be the perfect anything.

Here's my cake, cut into slices- since I halved the recipe I baked it in a loaf pan.
Delicious!  I got three thumbs up.  My husband and I downed a little more than half before we realized that we hadn't called the boys down to enjoy any.  Darn!  My scale will appreciate them eating the rest.  This recipe is a keeper.  It's a good 4 star delight.  And it is all gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your day or idea here.