Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Gingerbread House Day

When I was a wee young lass I was always in awe at the beautiful delicacies in the grand art of gingerbread houses.  Most look like what many of us would make, with graham crackers, some frosting, and a milk carton, or the new-fangled kit from the store.  Some are masterpieces requiring architectural know-how, an electrician's license, and Master's Degrees in Interior Design and Landscape Architecture.  These amazing pieces bring imagination to life in miniature form to different places and eras and even into animation at times.

All over the country, about this time of year, competitions are held to choose who is master of the gingerbread house.  The National Gingerbread House Competition 2012 was held in Asheville, North Carolina (a place I want to visit someday: hint to G).  If you'd like to see who won the coveted top spot this year head to this link:  Gingerbread Competion link

I decided to try it this year.  Alas, my kids were saddled with what seemed to me an intolerably infinite amount homework, thrust upon them and required to be completed before the day's end.  Sigh!  I was in luck, however, that my little nephew who is not yet in school needed a loving home to be for a few hours.  I bought one of those store kits...I don't have my Master's Degree yet.  He was more than just a little excited.  Here is the Pièce de résistance:

He was not happy I was interrupting his frosting "dessert."

To get a happier face...eating frosting he is.
He did about 80% of the decorating.  I put the frosting on...he embellished.  He did insist that P, my youngest, assist on a few.  I put a few on since he was a little slower than the speed at which the frosting was drying.  But he did a most fantastic job.  He was even more thrilled when he realized he would be taking it home.

At some point, my two boys, J and P will make theirs.  I will have to chat with some teachers about priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your day or idea here.